Skip to content

Studying in Australia with Studybird: which way to choose?

Australia never ceases to attract for its sunny days, its incredible surf spots and its breathtaking road trips. Going to study there is an amazing opportunity for many international students. Do you also want to take the plunge, but you don’t know which way to choose? Studybird is here to enlighten you!

Progress in English

Going for up to a year of English lessons in Australia, are you tempted? To do this, you will have to take a test to determine your level of English and thus integrate the class that suits you, once your school has been chosen. The English courses are varied: the best known are those of “general English”. They teach the basics by taking up the notions of grammar, conjugation or even reading and oral expression to allow you to progress in a global way.

If you want more specific teaching, there are also pronunciation and communication courses, focusing mainly on oral expression. Do you need to prove your level of English to future employers or the government or to integrate a school? Then the IELTS or Cambridge preparation courses are for you.

Another option: take “English for Academic Purposes” courses, if you plan to continue your studies through courses taught in English. There are also specific English courses for business or reinforcement courses for those who wish to benefit from 25 or 30 hours of intensive teaching. Find out which English course is right for you and contact us!

Some English schools also offer pretty cool packages that include English and surf lessons or courses to become a barista, for example! (Highly sought after in Australia with the number of small cafes located everywhere)

A good opportunity for you if you want to study English and have fun at the same time!

For those looking for a complete experience, schools also offer Demi Au Pair offers which will allow you to study English and live with a family at the same time, taking care of the children and getting involved in the Australian culture, it’s a perfect combo!

Contact us to find out more about these schools.

Higher Education Course: University

You can take higher education courses to earn a graduate degree [Degree] and thus continue your studies in Australia. There are three types of higher education: bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate.

As in France, in Australia, it is a diploma provided by local universities or private schools. The license or Bachelor Degree lasts between one and four years and the Master Degree between one and a half and two years.

A license in one year in Australia, it is possible…

… thanks to the binational diploma equivalence agreement and the 2+1 program before returning to France.

The binational diploma equivalence agreement is an agreement signed between France and Australia which makes it possible to obtain diploma equivalences for students wishing to pursue studies begun or completed in one of these countries.

The 2+1 program is offered by some Australian universities to allow access to the third year of the License (Bachelor) for French students holding a BTS or DUT.

Australian institutions offer a wide range of courses: from science to management and business, from humanities to engineering and law, from graphic design to health sciences. Australian institutions rank among the best in the world by discipline, particularly in the fields of engineering and technology, medicine, environmental science, accounting and finance.

The most popular fields of study are:

  • Accounting
  • Architecture
  • Business
  • Design
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Information technology
  • Marketing/Commercial
  • Nursing

And many others !

Graduate studies give access to a Temporary Graduate visa. It is a work visa available to international students who have completed at least two years of study in Australia and obtained a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD. It allows you to work in Australia for two to four years before, possibly, starting immigration procedures. It is a gateway to permanent residency and then citizenship.

If you still do not know in which field you would like to study, more details on the subject here or contact us, we will be happy to discuss the different possibilities with you.

// © Adobe Stock

Short courses

The so-called “vocational” courses are called Vocational Education Training (VET) in Australia. The courses link theoretical information with practical knowledge, this will be very useful when you graduate and work in a specific field of study.

How can I join a VET?

You must have studied English or have at least an upper intermediate level of English. Some English schools are directly linked to VET schools. Others may ask you to take an English test to ensure that you have the level required to understand the course. You must also have a Year 12 level in Australia, which corresponds to the French baccalaureate.

How do the courses work?

VET schools are very flexible. Classes can take place in the morning, afternoon or evening. Your presence is required two to four days a week, depending on what you are studying. VET schools assess your academic performance, which means you must pass all exams and assignments. Some schools have a Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL) when you show official documentation of what you have studied previously and your work experience. This can cut your course duration by up to six months!

What are the specialties?

  • BusinessManagement
  • Business Marketing
  • International Business
  • Business Administration
  • Finance Studies
  • Event Management/Marketing
  • Accounting
  • Travel and Tourism
  • Information technology
  • Graphic Design
  • Photography, Film & Video
  • public relations
  • child care
  • Hospitality/Hotel Management
  • Natural Therapies
  • Fitness, Sports, Yoga Running

And many others ! You can explore some of them here.

What are the qualifications obtained at the end of a VET course?

The qualifications you can earn at Australian vocational and technical schools meet international standards and prepare you for a wide range of positions, in addition to earning credits for future study. Depending on what you study and how long you study, you can receive different types of certifications. There are six levels for which you can graduate:

  • Certificate II – three to six months
  • Certificate III – six to eighteen months
  • Certificate IV – nine to eighteen months
  • Diploma – one to two years
  • Advanced Diploma – one to two and a half years

As you will have understood, there are many possible paths if you want to study in Australia and again, you can combine them! Nothing prevents you from starting with English courses and continuing with a Bachelor Degree or a vocational course. Likewise, if you wish to study there only for a few months during the summer, we have suitable programs. So do not hesitate any longer and come tell us about your project!

Contact us here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.