Skip to content

Exchange programs for studying outside Europe

By, student partnerpublished on June 01, 2021

7 mins

The European Union has clearly favored the international mobility of students within it, in particular thanks to school exchange programs between establishments of higher education. However, the world does not stop at Europe’s doorstep and in 2021 students can enjoy student exchanges around the world through a variety of programs.

The Erasmus+ exchange program

The success of european university exchange program Erasmus no longer needs to be demonstrated. Nevertheless, it should be emphasized that for almost 20 years, the mission no longer stops at the borders of Europe. Indeed, the exchange program has grown over time by becoming Erasmus+ and by including international components such as Erasmus Mundusand this from the start of the 2004–2005 school year thanks to partnerships with establishments around the world.

Erasmus+ is a program of cooperation and mobility between higher education institutions around the world, which allows you to go abroad while maintaining your education in your home institution. Today, Erasmus+ seems to position itself as the leader of university exchange programs collaborating with more than 1000 establishments worldwide.

The training offered by Erasmus+ to students last between 12 and 24 months and are particularly advantageous for French students who, by paying only the cost of registration in their university, can go to destinations that would be very expensive outside the Erasmus context.

Another advantage of Erasmus+ program is that it is widely known, documented and promoted, therefore the information will be easy to gather for mobility candidates. To be eligible for the exchange program, the student must provide proof of at least a first year of validation and a certain number of ECTS credits so that I can leave. He must also provide proof of the necessary administrative documentation (letters of recommendation, transcripts which may require translation, the mobility request forma cover letter, a curriculum vitae…).

The courses are located in Europe, of course, but also on all the other continents with destinations like Brazil, the United States, Chile or, Japan and South Korea…

The MICEFA exchange program:

The Interuniversity Coordination Mission for Franco-American Exchanges (MICEFA)as its name might suggest, is a union between 17 universities in the Ile de France (including in particular Sorbonne University, The University of Versailles-Saint-Quentin or Paris Nanterre University) and 65 English-speaking North American partners (including Queens College, Glendon College of York University or, University of Miami). The objective of this program is to promote collaboration between American and French universities by organizing university exchanges.

The majority of American establishments are in the United States and the rest in English-speaking Canada, while the duration of the mobility extends from one to two school semesters. Since North America is notorious for the high cost of higher education, the MICEFA program is a very good opportunity to take advantage of American lessons at a lower cost since, as for the Erasmus+ programthe exchange student only pays for registration at his home establishment and not for school fees of their host institution.

Each candidate for the program must be enrolled in L2 or a higher level of education in a member university, be selected by their institution and be able to demonstrate good academic results. Be careful, the mobility candidates must take care to be eligible for the issuance of visa necessary for their stays in the USA or in Canada and finally have a English level sufficient and documented to follow the lessons (i.e. a score of 80 on the TOEFL Where 6.5 to ELTS).

ISEP – International Student Exchange Programs.

ISEP is a program that organizes student exchanges from all over the world to the United States. ISEP brings together more than 300 member establishments on American soil and collaborates with universities present in more than 50 countries (including France) to organize student mobility from 6 months to a year.

Advantageously, if you wish to participate in this program, you can apply for nearly 10 american universities by classifying them in the order of your preferences in order to optimize your chances of leaving as much as possible.

To be able to claim the ISEP programit is of course necessary that your establishment is a partner, moreover, it will be necessary to pay a financial contribution in order to cover the application fee.

Here again, mobility taking place in a English-speaking establishmentthe candidates must, before their departure, prove that they have a sufficient level of English to follow the lessons in the American establishment, for this they will have to present their results in the TOEFL or IELTS exams.

It would seem that some establishments can offer courses in Spanish although they are in the United States, the language requirements will therefore be oriented towards Spanish and not English.

For example, the following establishments are ISEP partners : the University of Maine (Le Mans), the Political Institute of Rennes, Lille III… and on the American side, University of North Alabama, California State University, East Bay, Alfred University (New York) or University of Wyoming

The PQEE exchange program of the BCI, formerly CREPUQ:

If the MICEFA program covers English-speaking Canadian institutions, the Interuniversity Cooperation Office (BCI)he has set up a Quebec Student Exchange Program (PQEE) which concerns university exchanges between Quebec (mostly French-speaking) and the rest of the world.

the canadian program includes 9 Quebec universities and more than 400 higher partner establishments in 25 countries around the world, including France. The canadian universities concerned, although in French-speaking provinces, offer training in both English and French. Attention, if you wish to apply for an exchange in an English-speaking university, although it is in Quebec, you will have to provide proof of your level of English.

This program allows both Quebec and international students to take advantage of a school mobility ranging from one term to a full year while remaining integrated into their basic training. As an example of Quebec partner establishments, we can cite the University of Laval or that of Sherbrooke.

Here again, the French student will save on tuition fees which are higher in Quebec than in France, on average.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.